Maine Governor Paul LePage Holds Town Hall in Auburn (VIDEOS)
From an earlier media advisory:
Governor Paul R. LePage has announced he will hold his next town hall meeting on Wednesday, October 21 in Auburn where he will deliver remarks about moving Maine forward and answer questions from residents.
Central Maine Community College in Auburn will host the town hall from 6:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. The meeting is open to the public and will be held in Kirk Hall.
The town hall meeting will focus on the Governor’s vision for Maine, including further reducing the income tax; reforming welfare by strengthening the State’s safety net for the most vulnerable; cutting energy costs; and addressing Maine’s high student debt burden.
Here is video of the entire discussion.
One moment, however, has garnered the most attention both locally and nationally- a quick joke made by LePage… part of a throwaway line as he was laying out in depth his opposition to Maine’s upcoming Question 1 regarding public monies and election finance reforms:
Some of the news stories with reactions are linked below.
- WGME: Gov. LePage’s checkbook joke falls flat with women
- Huffington Post Politics: Maine Gov. Paul LePage Suggests Women Can’t Be Trusted With Money
- Raw Story: Gov. Paul LePage: Public campaign financing is ‘like giving your wife your checkbook’
- Daily Kos: The governor of Maine delivered a sexist comment straight out of the 1950s
- Maine Beacon: Gov. LePage says public campaign financing like “giving your wife your checkbook”
No word as to when the governor next intends to hold another town hall meeting; per his staff, LePage is travelling overseas next week.