Ed Legg Announces Candidacy for HD 141 (Kennebunk)
1. Over two years, 6 out of 7 of my Lead Sponsor bills became laws in Maine. These laws include:
a. Before a water utility can enter into a large water extraction contract with an outside private entity, there must be fully-noticed public participation hearings.
b. Increased requirements for education, reporting, diagnosis, awareness and research on the dangers we face from the startling epidemic of Lyme Disease. York County has more Lyme Disease victims than any county in Maine.
c. Created a State fund and facilitated the successful federal grant application for state-of-the-art Lidar topographical floodplain mapping for the entire coast of Maine, including Kennebunk. Currently our local floodplain maps are useless regarding accuracy.
d. Led the successful effort to remove FEMA’s unreasonable deadline mandate to reconstruct the flood plain maps in York and Cumberland Counties until the new Lidar maps were in place.
2. Was an active Co-Sponsor on two of Lead Sponsor Rep. Gary Connor’s bills, which were passed by the Maine Legislature in 2009-2010:
a. Ensured that funds for a first-ever Dental School in Maine and for a state-wide network of dental clinics which would provide needed access to dental care, especially in rural areas, were part of a bond package which was approved by Maine Voters.
b. Expanded health care insurance coverage for children with disabilities under the age of three. This critical period of early child development is especially important regarding the diagnosis and treatment of disabilities.
3. As an active member of the Insurance and Financial Services Committee (I.F.S.) worked closely with other Lead Sponsors on bills I Co-Sponsored including:
a. Ended the practice of health insurance companies of placing life-time and annual caps on insurance policies. This law now protects those Mainers who suffer from severe medical problems and who incur catastrophic debt because of their condition.
b. Led efforts to pass groundbreaking legislation to require mediation between a lending institution and homeowners who face foreclosure on their residence. This law requires that the entity which institutes foreclosure proceedings must now prove that it actually owns the mortgage and that the individual (s) representing the mortgage holder has the authority to accomplish a work-out with the homeowner. The successful model which implements this law was developed right here in York County.
4. Approximately 95% roll call voting record over two years, including 100% in the second year session.
5. Appointed to represent Maine on National Legislators’ Committees on Health Insurance, Insurance Regulations, and on the Environment.
* As Vice-President at University of New England (U.N.E.), led fundraising campaigns which resulted in bringing to York County multi-millions of dollars in the areas of biomedical and marine research and development.
* Led state-wide biomedical and marine research coalitions for state bond funding and election campaigns and for U.N.E.’s new School of Pharmacy.
* Led fund-raising efforts at U.N.E. which resulted in over a decade of steady contracts for businesses and jobs for hundreds of workers from Southern Maine. “Jobs for today, jobs that will stay” was a slogan I created for all these fundraising and bond campaigns.
Education: Harvard, A.B., Cum Laude in American History
University of Texas School of Law, J.D.
Family: Wife, Ann, professional artist and Realtor.
Past Chair of Kennebunk Land Trust Board of Directors.
Board of Directors, Art Guild of the Kennebunks
4 children, 7 grandchildren
1. National administrator with Ducks Unlimited and The Nature Conservancy
2. CEO & Litigation Manager of a diversified private corporation & charitable foundation.
3. Served on Managing Board of a successful venture capital company
4. Private School Headmaster
5. Athletic Director and Head Coach
6. Teacher of American History and Government
Past Local Boards and Positions:
1. U.N.E. Board of Trustees
2. Kennebunk Land Trust, Board of Directors
3. Katahdin Institute, Board of Directors
4. President, Kennebunk High School Athletic Boosters
5. Kennebunk H.S. – Head Coach of Wrestling
6. Corporator, Webber Hospital Association (Southern Maine Medical Center).